Given this fan’s urge for food for traditional cinematic excellence, I’ve misplaced rely of what number of occasions I’ve watched the 1953 romantic comedy. Roman vacation. So when Fathom Occasions introduced a possibility to revisit Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn (pre-Eddie AlbertInexperienced Acres) in a theater, I loved this story of a bored and sheltered princess named Ann (Hepburn) who escapes her guardians and falls in love with American journalist Joe Bradley (Peck) in Rome amongst different nostalgic moviegoers.
Like the opposite movies he introduced Fathom Occasions, I particularly benefit from the commentary by a movie historian earlier than or after every movie. This time Leonard Maltin was the faucet to debate Roman vacation.
In her first main movie position, Audrey Hepburn, then simply 24 years outdated, received the Academy Award for Finest Actress in a Main Position. Nevertheless, it was no shock to Gregory Peck. He prompt that the producers embody his identify within the title of the movie as he predicted that he would win. In her star-winning efficiency as Princess Anne, it was the primary of a collection of memorable roles for the beloved actress and humanitarian.
Roman vacation received two extra Oscars: Finest Writing, Movement Image Story; and Finest Costume Design, Black and White.
First, Roman vacation Director William Wyler envisioned both Elizabeth Taylor or Jean Simmons because the princess. Cary Grant was the primary option to play Joe Bradley, however he turned it down as a result of he felt he was too outdated. Now, in fact, you could not think about anybody however Gregory Peck, then 37, and Audrey Hepburn on this film.
In honor of seven many years Roman vacationy, listed here are 10 extra factoids you did not find out about this basic.
1) Roman vacation was shot completely in Rome and was one of many first American movies to be shot in Italy.
2) Director William Wyler selected to shoot Roman vacation as a result of it’s in black and white, the story and characters would be the focus somewhat than the setting. It was additionally a approach to preserve prices down because it was filmed on location.
3) The “mouth of fact” scene through which Joe Bradley claims to chunk his hand was prompt by Gregory Peck, who noticed comic Purple Skelton do an identical act.
4) Eddie Albert as photographer Irving Radovich was nominated for an Oscar for Finest Supporting Actor. It was one of many movie’s 10 nominations. Nevertheless, the class winner that yr was Frank Sinatra From Right here to Eternity.
5) From Right here to Eternity it additionally received an Oscar for greatest image Roman vacation (and different candidates Julius Caesar, Jubba and Shane).
6) In Nice Britain, Roman vacation It benefited from the then romance between Princess Margaret and commoner Peter Townsend. In the long run, Princess Margaret was pressured to surrender Townsend due to the divorce.
7) Though the aforementioned Cary Grant handed Roman vacation As he’s 25 years older than Audrey Hepburn, the pair starred within the thriller drama collectively. Charade In 1963.
8) Audrey Hepburn’s Oscar win the identical yr William Holden received for Finest Actor as Sgt. JJ Sefton in drama Stalag 17. The 2 had been seen collectively in one other romantic themed movie. SabrinaIn 1954.
9) resulting from Roman vacation Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn had been approached about making a sequel, however the proposed challenge by no means materialized.
10) in 1987 Roman vacation It was remade as a TV film with Catherine Oxenberg as Princess Eliza and Tom Conti as Joe Bradley. Ed Begley, Jr. Leonard supplied comedy help as Lupo. After all, this paled compared to the unique. “It is one of the crucial embarrassing follies of the last decade,” mentioned The New York Instances evaluation.
Now, 70 years later, you’ll be able to uncover (or revisit) the unique. Roman vacation Courtesy of Fathom Occasions.
we have fun the anniversary Roman vacation is a unbelievable approach to kick off the primary Fathom’s Massive Display Classics Collection,” mentioned Tom Lucas, Vice President of Studio Relations. Fathom Occasions. Audrey Hepburn’s Oscar-winning efficiency is a must-see within the theater and on the massive display screen.”
No stranger to those Fathom movie occasions, I skilled the magic of revisiting classics. All about Eve, Gone with the wind musical Meet me in St. Louisand Alfred Hitchcock’s Birds. Evidently, I am wanting ahead to the subsequent title…and past!